I think everything in this turned out pretty well.  I think the nose in the first panel could be a bit better perhaps but I’m no sure exactly how to fix it more than it was.  I’ve always done more softer shading but I’m trying to work in a few more well-defined shadows.  This is one of those areas where I am never quite sure if I am close or totally off base simply because of my color blindness but I’m not going to use that as an excuse not to try.  For anyone reading, if theres some weird shade shifts goin on or something, feel free to let me know.  Since I likely can’t see what I’m even doing something wrong in that case, it would be nice for someone to tell me so I can try another approach that might work better.


Back to that first panel.  I used a picture from google images as a reference.  Some woman posing for a rhinoplasty photo or something.   I used it specifically because the definition for it required shading and couldn’t really be done with lines, at least as far as I could tell.  The lines I originally had went significantly farther up the bridge of the nose but I think this set works better with the shading to kind of give the boop of the nose its boopiness.


I also challenged myself more on the hair and I think I managed it okay for the most part.  For as weird as Rana’s hair is its getting remarkably easy to draw it.  I’m still also contemplating whether or not to have half her head shaved completely or just stubble like it is now.  I did it for the 4th picture but I think it looked almost too bald.  Fortunately its very convenient that Rana can use her two Kikonrar to grow out her hair rapidly as seen way back in the interrogation of Jim where she has a sort of Japanese bun thing going on, then promptly shaves it again since she was out of the formal setting.


That last panel is probably the single best side profile I’ve done.  I’m still not 100% on the eye but I’m very happy with it overall.  I haven’t done a whole lot of side profiles because it feels too 2D to me, when I’m supposed to be challenging myself to get better, I’d rather shoot for something more 3D looking that isn’t so straightforward.  That is actually a pretty good explanation for pretty much every weird angled figure I’ve done this entire time.


This is the result of me actually taking more time instead of trying to meet deadlines.  I think I’m going to stick with that route now.  The art just comes out way better.  It also gives me something to talk about in these posts which have been pretty light for some time.